As a new school year gets underway, I'm reminded of how much has been cut from our schools here in Sonoma County. Restoring programs like athletics, art, music and other essentials that have been cut for years is why I'm voting in favor Proposition 38 on Nov. 6. Prop 38 is the only proposition on the ballot that guarantees funding for every public school in California, and when Prop 38 passes, dollars will be sent directly to the schools, not Sacramento.
Proposition 38 offers five guarantees to parents, educators, and students, that outline who will be able to make funding decisions, and specifically where that money is going.
- The Legislature CANNOT touch any of the money, and it cannot use the new money to replace the funds schools currently receive.
- School funding MUST go to every school in California on a per pupil basis and be spent at the school.
- The money CANNOT be spent to increase salaries or pensions of school personnel. Prop 38 also prohibits spending more than 1% on administration.
- Spending decisions will be made LOCALLY, following public input.
- School districts will be ACCOUNTABLE for improvement at each school, based on established annual educational improvement goals.
Prop 38 is paid for by a fair and balanced sliding scale tax, and for me and my family, we'll pay far less than we currently donate to make-up for programs that have been cut, year after year in California’s public schools.
Join me in supporting Prop 38 this November so we can make a real difference in our children’s education, and invest in the future of California public schools.
Vote YES on 38 – for more information, go to www.prop38forlocalschools.org